American University of Arkansas (U of A) - University Ranking
University Description (Ranking at bottom)
The University of Arkansas (U of A) is a public research university located in Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States.
The University of Arkansas is one of the nation’s top public research universities. Our ideas, solutions and collaborations make communities and economies stronger. The opportunities and skills we provide make lives better. We envision a better world and we’re determined to build it.
The ‘students-first’ philosophy is a big reason why the U of A is consistently ranked among the nation’s top public research universities and best values. We work hard to ensure a low student-to-faculty ratio that promotes plenty of personal attention and mentoring opportunities. The Carnegie Foundation classifies the university as having “the highest possible level of research,” placing us among the top 3 percent of colleges and universities nationwide.
Founded in 1871 as a land-grant institution, the University of Arkansas is the flagship of the University of Arkansas System. Our nearly 31,000 students represent all 50 states and more than 120 countries. The U of A has 10 colleges and schools offering more than 210 academic programs.
Our picturesque campus is located in Fayetteville in the hilly northwest corner of Arkansas and includes two arboreta overlooking the Ozark Mountains. Some of the nation’s best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus. Fayetteville is routinely considered among the country’s finest college towns, and the surrounding Northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S.
Here are some key details about the university:
- History: The University of Arkansas was founded in 1871 as Arkansas Industrial University, initially focused on agriculture and mechanical arts. Over the years, it has grown into a comprehensive research university offering a wide range of academic programs.
- Academics: U of A offers more than 200 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs through its multiple colleges and schools. It is well-regarded for its programs in business, engineering, agriculture, architecture, and the arts. The university also has a strong emphasis on research and innovation.
- Campus: The U of A campus spans over 400 acres in the Ozark Mountains and provides a picturesque setting for students. It boasts modern facilities, including state-of-the-art research labs, libraries, student centers, and athletic facilities.
- Notable Programs: The university is known for its flagship programs, including the Sam M. Walton College of Business, which is highly regarded for its business and entrepreneurship programs. The Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design is also notable for its nationally recognized design programs. Additionally, the university’s Honors College offers specialized opportunities for academically talented students.
- Research and Innovation: U of A is a leading research institution, with significant contributions in areas such as agriculture, engineering, sciences, and humanities. The university encourages undergraduate and graduate students to engage in research and provides various resources and support for their projects.
- Student Life: U of A has a vibrant student life with numerous student organizations, clubs, and extracurricular activities. The campus offers a range of cultural and recreational opportunities, including art exhibitions, performances, and sporting events. The university also has a strong commitment to community service and volunteerism.
- Razorbacks Athletics: The U of A athletic teams are known as the Razorbacks and compete in the NCAA Division I Southeastern Conference. The university’s sports programs, particularly football and basketball, have a dedicated fan base and have achieved notable success at the conference and national levels.
- Community Engagement: U of A is committed to serving the local community and the state of Arkansas. It actively collaborates with businesses, organizations, and government agencies to address societal challenges and promote economic development.
Overall, the University of Arkansas offers a diverse and comprehensive academic experience, emphasizing research, innovation, and community engagement. The campus and surrounding area provide a rich environment for students to thrive academically, socially, and athletically.
Address: Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Phone: 1 479-575-2000