American Temple University - University Ranking
University Description (Ranking at bottom)
Temple University is a public research university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Established in 1884, it is one of the largest and most diverse universities in the United States.
Temple university founded as a night school by Russell Conwell, since then Temple University has evolved into an international powerhouse in higher education and a top-tier research institution with roughly 40,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students. As the largest university in one of the nation’s most iconic cities, Temple educates diverse future leaders from across Philadelphia, the country and the world who share a common drive to learn, prepare for their careers and make a real impact. Temple offers students a dynamic and nurturing learning environment with the support of a renowned faculty, dedicated academic advisors focused on setting a clear path to graduation and a broad curriculum of more than 500 academic programs. A longtime leader in professional education, Temple is also among the nation’s largest educators in the combined fields of dentistry, law, medicine, pharmacy and podiatry. Temple’s bustling Main Campus is set against the backdrop of the Philadelphia skyline. Green space, athletic facilities and eclectic architecture ranging from the historic Temple Performing Arts Center to an emerging state-of-the-art Charles Library form a vibrant residential setting. Temple’s NCAA Division I athletic programs and hundreds of student organizations thrive on campus.
Philadelphia’s public university, Temple provides an unparalleled value to families in the region and serves as an essential resource to the surrounding community. Temple also offers a gateway to the world with long-standing international campuses in Tokyo and Rome and study abroad opportunities across six continents.
Here are some key features of Temple University:
- Academics: Temple University offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs across various disciplines. The university has 17 schools and colleges, including schools of business, education, engineering, law, medicine, pharmacy, arts and sciences, and more. Temple is known for its strong programs in areas such as business, law, journalism, health sciences, education, and the arts.
- Research and Innovation: Temple is designated as a research university with high research activity (R2) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. The university’s faculty and students are involved in groundbreaking research in fields such as health sciences, biomedical sciences, neuroscience, architecture, urban planning, media studies, and more. Temple emphasizes interdisciplinary collaboration and encourages students to engage in research opportunities.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Temple University prides itself on its diverse and inclusive community. The university attracts a diverse student body from all 50 states and over 100 countries. Students at Temple come from various backgrounds and cultures, fostering an environment of learning and understanding. The university provides resources and support for underrepresented groups, promoting inclusivity and equity.
- Campus and Facilities: Temple’s main campus is located in the vibrant neighborhood of North Philadelphia. The campus spans over 105 acres and features a mix of historic and modern buildings. Notable facilities include the Charles Library, which houses a state-of-the-art makerspace and digital scholarship center, the Tyler School of Art, the Fox School of Business, and the Lewis Katz School of Medicine. The campus also offers a variety of amenities, including residence halls, recreational facilities, dining options, and libraries.
- Athletics: Temple University’s sports teams, known as the Owls, compete in NCAA Division I as part of the American Athletic Conference (AAC). The university has a strong athletic tradition and fields teams in sports such as football, basketball, soccer, baseball, gymnastics, and more. The basketball team, in particular, has had notable success and has made several appearances in the NCAA tournament.
- Community Engagement: Temple University is deeply rooted in the Philadelphia community. The university actively engages with local organizations, businesses, and government entities to address community needs and contribute to economic and social progress. Temple students are encouraged to participate in community service and civic engagement activities to make a positive impact.
- Student Life: Temple offers a vibrant and active student life experience. With over 300 student organizations and clubs, students have a wide range of opportunities to get involved, pursue their interests, and develop leadership skills. The university also hosts numerous events, guest speakers, performances, and cultural activities throughout the year.
- Global Reach: Temple University promotes global awareness and offers various international programs and partnerships. Students have the opportunity to study abroad, participate in faculty-led international programs, and engage in global research and internships. The university aims to prepare students to navigate and thrive in a globally interconnected world.
Temple University’s dedication to academic excellence, research, diversity, and community engagement has established it as a prominent institution. It provides a supportive and intellectually stimulating environment, equipping students with the skills and knowledge needed for success in their chosen careers.
Address: 1801 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Phone: 1 215-204-7000