American Grand Valley State University (GVSU) - University Ranking
University Description (Ranking at bottom)
Grand Valley State University (GVSU, GV, or Grand Valley) is a public university in Allendale, Michigan. It was established in 1960 as Grand Valley State College. Its main campus is situated on 1,322 acres approximately 12 miles west of Grand Rapids. The university also features campuses in Grand Rapids and Holland and regional centers in Battle Creek, Detroit, Muskegon, and Traverse City.
GVSU enrolls more than 24,000 students. The university has alumni from 50 U.S. states, Canada, and 25 other countries.
Here are some key details about the university:
- History: Grand Valley State University was established in 1960 as Grand Valley State College and became a university in 1987. It was originally created to meet the increasing demand for higher education in the West Michigan region.
- Campuses: GVSU operates two main campuses – the Allendale Campus and the Pew Grand Rapids Campus. The Allendale Campus is the main residential campus, set on over 1,300 acres of land. The Pew Grand Rapids Campus is located in downtown Grand Rapids and offers a range of professional and graduate programs.
- Academics: GVSU offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines. It comprises eight academic colleges, including the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Seidman College of Business, College of Health Professions, and College of Education.
- Notable Programs: GVSU is known for its programs in business, health sciences, education, and the liberal arts. It has nationally recognized programs in areas such as entrepreneurship, nursing, engineering, and public administration.
- Student Life: GVSU has a vibrant and engaged student community. It offers numerous student organizations, clubs, and leadership opportunities. The university also has a strong commitment to community service and volunteerism.
- Campus Facilities: The campuses boast modern facilities, including state-of-the-art classrooms, research laboratories, libraries, and recreational facilities. GVSU’s Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences is a notable facility that houses health science programs and clinics.
- Athletics: The athletic teams at GVSU are known as the Lakers and they compete in the NCAA Division II. The university has a successful athletic program, with numerous national championships in sports such as football, basketball, cross country, and track and field.
- Sustainability: GVSU is committed to sustainability and has been recognized as a leader in environmental stewardship. The university has implemented various initiatives to reduce its carbon footprint and promote sustainability in its operations and curriculum.
Overall, Grand Valley State University offers a comprehensive academic experience with a focus on hands-on learning, community engagement, and a commitment to sustainability.
Address: 1 Campus Dr, Allendale, MI 49401, USA
Phone: 1 616-331-5000