American East Carolina University (ECU) - University Ranking
University Description (Ranking at bottom)
East Carolina University is a public research university located in Greenville, North Carolina, United States.
As the only university in North Carolina with a medical school, a dental school and a college of engineering, East Carolina University is leading the way in creating important discoveries through research. We offer research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, while seeking the best and brightest professional minds to meet the challenges of the 21st century. Researchers here are developing new technologies, medicines and innovative approaches that will transform the rural and coastal regions of our state and be part of the flagship university of eastern North Carolina.
Living up to the promise. In his inaugural address as ECU’s first president, Robert Wright established a mission that guided its leaders for more than 100 years and still guides it today. “It was built by the people, for the people, and may it ever remain with the people, as a servant of the people.” His vision was that the university would offer an education equal to the very best institutions of higher learning, while also lifting the quality of life for the entire region. How pleased he would be to see how successfully ECU lived up to that long-ago promise.
Here are some key details about the university:
- History: East Carolina University (ECU) was established in 1907 as a teacher training school called East Carolina Teachers Training School. It became a four-year college in 1920 and gained university status in 1967.
- Campus: The main campus of ECU spans over 1,600 acres with more than 28,000 students. It features a mix of modern and historic buildings, green spaces, and recreational facilities.
- Academics: ECU offers over 100 undergraduate programs, around 85 master’s programs, and over 20 doctoral-level programs across various disciplines. It consists of several colleges and schools, including the College of Education, College of Business, College of Nursing, and Brody School of Medicine.
- Notable Programs: East Carolina University is particularly renowned for its programs in healthcare, education, fine arts, business, and engineering. The Brody School of Medicine is known for its primary care focus and producing physicians who serve in underserved regions.
- Student Life: ECU provides a vibrant and diverse student life experience. It has various student organizations, clubs, and Greek life chapters. The university’s athletics program, known as the Pirates, competes in NCAA Division I and has a strong following.
- Research: ECU is classified as a research university with high research activity. It conducts significant research in fields such as health sciences, engineering, education, and coastal studies.
- Community Engagement: The university is deeply involved in serving its community and region. It provides healthcare services through the Brody School of Medicine, offers educational outreach programs, and supports local economic development initiatives.
Overall, East Carolina University is recognized for its academic programs, research initiatives, and commitment to community engagement.
Address: E 5th St, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Phone: 1 252-328-6131