Canada Immigration

Studying in Canada can be a pathway to permanent residency for international students through various immigration programs. (See helpful links at bottom of page.)

2017 UOFT Tri-Campus Parade

Here are some key points to consider:

1. Study Permit: International students need a study permit to pursue a program in Canada lasting more than six months. This permit allows students to work part-time on-campus during their studies.

2. Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP): After completing a qualifying program of study at a designated learning institution in Canada, students may be eligible for a PGWP, which allows them to work in Canada for up to three years. This work experience can help students gain valuable Canadian work experience and points for permanent residency applications.

3. Express Entry: Canadian permanent residency can be obtained through the Express Entry system, which manages applications for three federal economic immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class. A job offer or work experience in Canada is beneficial, and having Canadian education and language proficiency can enhance the chances of obtaining an invitation to apply for permanent residency.

4. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs): Canadian provinces and territories have their own immigration programs, known as PNPs, which allow them to select and nominate individuals for permanent residency based on their skills and ability to contribute to the local economy. Many PNPs have streams specifically targeting international students.

5. Canadian Experience Class (CEC): This category of the Express Entry system is designed for individuals with Canadian work experience. By working temporarily in Canada using the PGWP, students can fulfill the requirements of the CEC and become eligible to apply for permanent residency.

It’s important to note that the requirements and application processes for permanent residency can vary depending on the immigration program, province, and individual circumstances. It is recommended to consult with an immigration lawyer or a certified immigration consultant to ensure you have accurate and up-to-date information applicable to your situation.

Helpful Thoughts

Canada can be costly (especially the Toronto and Vancouver areas). Why not explore some of the smaller cities and do a cost comparison utilizing tuition and accommodation.

Colleges in Canada

Helpful links

Study in Canada as an International Student

International student in Canada? How can I apply to become a permanent resident?