American Wayne State University - University Ranking
University Description (Ranking at bottom)
Wayne State University is a public research university located in Detroit, Michigan. It is one of the largest universities in Michigan and currently enrolls over 27,000 students.
Wayne State’s history began in 1868, when five physicians who witnessed the crude medical treatment on Civil War battlefields committed themselves to advancing health education and care in Detroit. They founded the Detroit Medical College, which has since transformed into our School of Medicine.
Today, our main, 200-acre campus in Midtown Detroit is home to nearly 24,000 undergraduate and graduate students from across the United States and 70 countries.
Here are some key points about Wayne State University:
- Academics: Wayne State offers more than 350 undergraduate and graduate degree programs across 13 schools and colleges, including the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, School of Medicine, College of Engineering, College of Education, and Mike Ilitch School of Business. The university is known for its strong programs in medicine, law, engineering, and the sciences.
- Research: Wayne State is a top-tier research institution and is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral/Research University-Extensive. It conducts significant research in various fields, including biomedical sciences, engineering, urban studies, psychology, and social sciences.
- Campus: The university’s main campus is located in Midtown Detroit. It spans over 200 acres and is home to numerous modern academic buildings, research centers, libraries, and student facilities. The campus is also adjacent to the Detroit Medical Center, allowing for collaboration between the university and medical professionals.
- Diversity: Wayne State is known for its diverse student population, attracting students from all 50 states and over 80 countries. The university prides itself on creating an inclusive and multicultural environment.
- Urban Engagement: Being located in Detroit, Wayne State has a strong commitment to urban engagement and outreach. The university collaborates with the city and its communities to address urban issues, support economic development, and contribute to the cultural vibrancy of the region.
- Athletics: Wayne State’s athletic teams, known as the Warriors, compete in NCAA Division II. The university offers a range of sports programs, including basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, and track and field.
- Student Life: Wayne State provides a vibrant campus life with a wide array of student organizations, clubs, and activities. Students can be involved in academic, cultural, recreational, and leadership opportunities on campus.
Overall, Wayne State University is a prestigious and diverse institution that offers a wide range of academic programs, conducts significant research, and actively engages with the urban community of Detroit.
Wayne State University
42 W. Warren Ave.
Detroit, Michigan, USA 48202