American University of Missouri (MU) - University Ranking
University Description (Ranking at bottom)
The University of Missouri, commonly known as Mizzou, is a public research university located in Columbia, Missouri, United States. It was founded in 1839 and is the flagship institution of the University of Missouri System.
The University of Missouri knows what it means to be first. We were the first public university west of the Mississippi River. We are home to the world’s first journalism school. We started the tradition of homecoming. As a flagship, land-grant institution and one of only 71 universities across the U.S. and Canada to be a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, we are a campus where empathy, innovation and hard work combine to solve the world’s grand challenges. Our community of students, faculty and staff enhances bovine reproduction, composes award-winning music and generates life-saving radioisotopes in the most powerful university research reactor in the country. We tackle diverse problems because Missouri is a diverse state — from the southern Ozarks to the northern plains. We are Mizzou, where Black and Gold runs deep and Truman the Tiger embodies our bold spirit.
Here’s some information about the university:
- Programs and Academics: Mizzou offers more than 300 degree programs across various disciplines, including agriculture, business, education, engineering, journalism, law, medicine, and more. It is organized into various schools and colleges, such as the College of Arts and Science, School of Medicine, College of Engineering, and College of Education, among others.
- Campus: The university’s main campus is located in Columbia and spans over 1,200 acres. It features beautiful historic buildings mixed with modern facilities, including state-of-the-art research laboratories, libraries, residence halls, and recreational spaces.
- Research and Innovation: Mizzou is renowned for its research contributions. It is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and conducts research in fields like agriculture, health sciences, bioengineering, journalism, and nuclear science. The campus houses multiple research centers and institutes, encouraging students and faculty to engage in cutting-edge research.
- Diversity and Inclusion: The university is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion among its student body, faculty, and staff. It values a multicultural and inclusive environment that fosters mutual respect and encourages the exchange of various perspectives.
- Athletics: The university’s athletic teams, known as the Missouri Tigers, compete in the NCAA Division I Southeastern Conference. The football team plays at Faurot Field, and basketball games are held at Mizzou Arena. Mizzou has a long and proud athletic history, with notable alumni such as football players Kellen Winslow Sr., Jeremy Maclin, and basketball player Kim English.
- Student Life: Mizzou offers a vibrant student life with numerous student organizations, clubs, and recreational activities. There are also various cultural and social events that promote student engagement and community building.
- Notable Alumni: The university has a strong alumni network, with notable alumni excelling in various fields. Some of the prominent alumni include journalist Tom Berenger, actor Sheryl Crow, journalist and television host John Anderson, and Nobel laureate George P. Smith.
Overall, the University of Missouri is known for its academic excellence, research contributions, commitment to diversity, and vibrant campus life.
Address: Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Phone: 1 573-882-2121